Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book Review: Sacramental Magic in a Small-Town Cafe by Reinhart

I picked up a copy of Sacramental Magic in a Small-Town Cafe from the Recycled Reader on Tuesday. The author, Peter Reinhart, a member of the Order Christ the Saviour Brotherhood, opened the restaurant, Brother Juniper's Cafe as a form of ministry in the 1960s. I found the idea of opening a restaurant as ministry odd. Reinhart precedes the recipes with stories from the restaurant and from his life. Many of the stories are vivid food experiences that I enjoy reading. I haven't had opportunity to try any of the recipes, but the directions seem very clear and technique is discussed in detail. The chapter that I'm most enthused about is the chapter on making sodas. I make my own strawberry and citrus sodas, but Reinhart has some directions to make ginger ale that I will try this summer. Also, I've asked by husband to try one of the bread recipes. I recommend this book because it is an interesting read even if you don't plan to make the recipes. As I try some out, I'll add to this post how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment