Monday, December 2, 2013

...Packages Tired up with String. These are a few of my favorite things.

Mostly I eat food that do not come in a package. I eat a low-sulfur, low preservative diet; however, I do eat some things that have a brand and come in a package that do not make me sick. Here are a few of my current favorites:

Walker Shortbread Cookies
These have butter, sugar, and flour in them. That's it! They are currently available in cool holiday shapes.

Ghirardelli Gourmet Milk Chocolate
This is one of the riskier packaged foods that I eat, but it is so good! These bars contain sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, unsweetened chocolate, milk fat, soy lecithin, and vanilla. That is a longer ingredient list than I usually digest, but did I mention that this is chocolate? My favorite way to eat the delicious squares in the place one on the Walker Shortbread Cookies and eat it like an open faced sandwich. Mmmmm...

Zeiglers Organic Apple Cider
This is a new product for me that my local organic market started selling. Its ingredients include the following: apples. Yep, that's it. I called the company to find out if anything else is possibly added at any point, and the nice woman who called me back says that the bottles have apples in them--nothing else. She even called her bottle manufacture to make sure they didn't add anything.

Plain Chobani, Oikos, and Taste of Inspirations Greek Yogurt
I eat a lot of yogurt. Usually I add a bit of local honey to a plain greek yogurt that contains no flavors or thickeners.

Organic Valley Grassmilk
My local organic market has recently been selling "Grassmilk." The flavor is deliciously fresh and creamy. I'd read that milk from grass fed cows has less harmful fat than milk from grain fed cows. I'm not sure how valid those studies are, but the milk sure tastes good.

King Author Brand Flour (All Purpose and Bread)
This is the flour from which my husband's glorious yeasty confections arise.

Friendship Farmer Cheese
This is a fresh cheese that resembles a low moisture ricotta. I think that it is pretty low in sulfur because it didn't make me sick when I made a lasagna with it.

Nancy's Cultured Cream Cheese
Really, really delicious cream cheese make the old-fashioned way before Kraft. I made a cheesecake with it, but it's also great on crackers.

McCann's Quick & Easy (5 minute) Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
The Quick & Easy style doesn't take as long as the original, but provides the same texture as the original (not the complete mush of the instant). Do not try cooking it in the microwave even though it has directions for microwaving on the label. There was less oatmeal in the bowl than on the sides of the microwave. I like to add honey, butter, and banana chunks to mine.

Food Lion Nature's Place All Natural Chicken
This chicken tastes good and is always available at one of the local Food Lions. I admit that it is not as good as the Amish organic chicken that my local organic market sells or the organic Farm Fresh chicken, but it has the advantage of always being on the shelf. It is nice being able decide, "I want chicken for dinner," and actually be able to go out and by chicken, while Farm Fresh and the organic market were often sold out. Another bonus is that this chicken doesn't seem to make me ill.

Aquafina Bottled Water
A lot of bottled water contains sulfur. Spring water can pick it up naturally by flowing through sulfur rocks. Some companies (Coke) add sulfur to bottled water. Aquafina seems to have a low enough sulfur level to not make me sick. Plus it tastes much better than distilled water. I've been reading about sulfur in tap water and water filters that add sulfur, so I'm back on bottled water until I do more research on that subject.

Whole Food Bulk Mozzarella
One summer I got sick and wasn't getting better. After a while, my husband and I figured out that the store brand of mozzarella cheese had changed. We also noticed that it was taking much longer to go bad in the refrigerator. I think the company started adding sulfur to preserve the cheese, and it was making me sick. We switched to eating cheese in the ball form, and I got better. My husband uses the cheese to make pizza, and I use it to make lasagna and steak and cheese subs.




No comments:

Post a Comment