Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Strawberry Pork Lettuce Wraps

The hold up with posting a lot of my recipes is getting pictures of them. I take pictures, but they are often out of focus. My brother-in-law, William Jones, has agreed to help me in this area, so I'm sorry, but a picture of this one will have to come later.

Strawberry Pork Lettuce Wraps
I love my slow cooker, but it often gets relegated to storage in the summer because my family, friends, and I tend not to crave the hardy warm foods that it produces during the hottest months. This dish, along with my North Carolina Barbeque recipes, gets my slow cooker out of storage to make a wonderful summer meal. The strawberries melt into the pork, making it tastey and moist.

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries, caps removed
1 to 2 pounds lean pork roast
1 head lettuce, washed and cored with leaves separated
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon red pepper flake (optional)

In a slow cooker, combine strawberries, pork, salt and pepper, and red pepper flake if using. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Use a fork to shred the tender cooked pork. Serve with lettuce. Allow diners to scoop a small amount of filling in a lettuce leaf, roll, and eat. Serve with fresh fruit and crunchy vegetables like shredded cabbage and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment